Southern Sandstone Info
GPS: 51.106300, 0.189119
Approach: From Tunbridge Wells, follow the A264 then turn onto the B2110 towards Groombridge. Pass the Crown Inn pub and continue to a roundabout. Branch left along Station Road passing the humped railway bridge and station on your left. After 200m branch right down Eridge Road. Follow this for 200m until you reach a turning on your right with a big sign saying ‘Birchden Wood’ and ‘Harrison’s Rocks’. Follow this narrow road down to the car park.
What will be provided?
All climbing equipment will be provided, apart from rock shoes. If you have your own equipment (harness, helmet, belay device and carabiner), you are more than welcome to bring these along.
What will you need to bring?
The following is a list of items that you will need to bring along, some are essential and others optional:
- Rock shoes or soft soled trainers (essential). Please don’t bring hard trail shoes for climbing, as these will damage the rock.
- Comfortable, athletic style clothing that does not inhibit movement (essential). Dresses and skirts are not appropriate for use with a harness.
- Hair bands for long hair (essential).
- Food and drinks (essential).
- Litter bag (essential). There are no bins at the climbing area and all litter is to be taken away by participants.
- Sunscreen (optional). The use of sunscreen is advised, however.
- Fleece and Rainproof Jacket (optional). I will advise additionally, depending on weather forecast.
- Camera (optional). I will have a camera with me to take climbing photos on the day and these will be available at no extra cost.
The following is a list of things to consider:
- The car park at Harrison’s Rocks will cost £1/hour and £4/day for cars. There is a pay and display machine available.
- The toilet facilities at Harrison’s Rocks are open and located in the car park. The climbing area is a fair distance from the car park, so please bear this in mind.
- There are no shops close by, so please ensure you bring your food and drinks from home or along the way to the venue.
- You are advised to leave jewellery and valuables at home. You will not be able to climb with jewellery. I am not liable for the loss of personal items.
- No drones are permitted.